How Our Genes Change Our Lives--and Our Lives Change Our Genes
An award-winning physician and New York Times bestselling author reveals how genetic breakthroughs are completely transforming our understanding of both the world and our lives.
Conventional wisdom dictates that our genetic destiny is fixed at conception. But Dr. Moalem's groundbreaking book shows us that the human genome is far more fluid and fascinating than your ninth grade biology teacher ever imagined. By bringing us to the bedside of his unique and complex patients, he masterfully demonstrates what rare genetic conditions can teach us all about our own health and well-being.
In the brave new world we're rapidly rocketing into, genetic knowledge has become absolutely crucial. Inheritance provides an indispensable roadmap for this journey by teaching you:
- Why you may have recovered from the psychological trauma caused by childhood bullying-but your genes may remain scarred for life.
- How fructose is the sugar that makes fruits sweet-but if you have certain genes, consuming it can buy you a one-way trip to the coroner's office.
- Why ingesting common painkillers is like dosing yourself repeatedly with morphine -- if you have a certain set of genes.
- How insurance companies legally use your genetic data to predict the risk of disability for you and your children-and how that impacts the coverage decisions they make for your family.
- How to have the single most important conversation with your doctor -- one that can save your life.
- And finally, why people with rare genetic conditions hold the keys to medical problems affecting millions.