The Manager’s Guide to Terrorism, Risk, and Insurance
Essentials for Today’s Business
David J. Smith, MSM, CPCU, Mark D. Silinksy, MPhil (Oxon.), Ph.D, Kristen Noakes-Fry, ABCI
As a manager, you’re aware of terrorist acts, are considering the risks, but sense that you need more background. How might terrorism occur? How is it part of risk and threat planning? What insurance strategies might protect your company from financial loss? In a few short chapters, The Manager’s Guide to Terrorism, Risk, and Insurance: Essentials for Today’s Business fills in the blanks for you.
What does it take to weigh the likelihood of a terrorism exposure and protect all the assets of your company? The answer to this question involves understanding the nature of terrorists and their behavior, evaluating the risk of potential damage and business interruption, and exploring ways to use insurance – such as programs covered by the US Terrorism Risk Insurance Act – to protect against severe financial harm.
Authors of this book, David J. Smith and Mark D. Silinsky, give you the benefit of their decades of professional experience in risk management, insurance, physical and cyber security, and anti-terrorism.
Topics covered will help you to better understand:
- Characteristics that could make your company the target of terrorism.
- The most costly terrorist acts that have brought about fatalities and insured property loss. .
- How to anticipate the probability of maximum loss and foreseeable loss from terrorism. .
- The psychological picture of the typical terrorist – the warning signs and pre-attack indicators. .
- Tactics used by terrorists, such as bombings, assassination, and kidnapping. .
- Safety measures to be used by employees in the office and as they travel. .
- Practical steps for loss reduction from a variety of terrorist-related threats. .
- Insurance options to protect against financial loss from destructive terrorist acts, kidnap and ransom, and cyber attack and exposure.
Case studies and discussion questions are provided to speed your understanding of the material. Importantly, since the book has been extensively researched, the authors provide a wealth of resources that you can consult as you dig deeper into this complex topic.