Islamic Bioethics: Current Issues And Challenges
Current Issues and Challenges
Alireza Bagheri, Khalid Alali
Islamic Bioethics presents a wide variety of perspectives and debates on how Islamic societies deal with the ethical dilemmas raised by biomedicine and new technologies.
The book is a "constructive dialogue" between contributors selected from a multidisciplinary group of Muslim and non-Muslim scholars from different Islamic countries. The 11 chapters illuminate the diversity and complexity of the issues discussed in Islamic bioethics and pave the way to a better understanding of Islamic bioethics and dialogue in the global bioethics community. The chapters take both theoretical and practical approaches to the topic, and each covers an emerging issue in Islamic bioethics.
This book will be useful for academics and professional institutions in both Islamic and non-Islamic countries, and will be instrumental in providing researchers, scholars, students, policymakers and medical professionals with access to the latest issues and debates related to Islamic bioethics.
Contributors include: Tariq Ramadan, Abdallah Daar, Ali Albar, Mohsin Ebrahim, Baharouddin Azizan Alastair Campbel, Bagher Larijani, Carol Taylor, Gamal Serour, James Rusthoven, Ilhan Ilkilic, Ingrid Mattson, Hassan Chamsi-Pasha, Jonathan Crane, Hakan Ertin, Mehunisha Suleman.
- Islamic Ethics: Sources, Methodology and Application (T Ramadan)
- Islamic Bioethics: Infrastructure and Capacity Building (A Bagheri)
- What Islamic Bioethics Can Offer to Global Bioethics (A Bagheri et al.)
- Gender and Sexuality in Islamic Bioethics (I Mattson)
- Physician-Patient Relationship in Islamic Context (M Al Bar & H Chamsi-Pasha)
- Islamic Perspective on Brain Death and Organ Transplantation (M Ebrahim)
- The Stem Cell Debate in Islamic Bioethics (H Ertin & I Ilkilic)
- Environmental Ethics in Islam (A Baharuddin & M N Musa)
- Animal Rights in Islam (B Larijani et al.)
- Biomedical Research Ethics in the Islamic Context: Reflections on and Challenges for Islamic Bioethics (M Suleman)
- Challenges in Islamic Bioethics (K Alali et al.)
Readership: Healthcare professionals, health policy makers, physicians and nurses, lawyers academics, researchers, graduate students and lay public.
Keywords:Islamic Bioethics;Bioethics;Biomedical Ethics;Medical Ethics;IslamReview:Key Features:
- Provides a platform for a better understanding of bioethical issues in Islamic context and how an ethical dilemma is dealt with and how decisions are made in Islamic bioethics from a multidisciplinary group of scholars
- Bioethical topics presented in this volume are the most critical issues in Islamic bioethics as well as global bioethics
- Each chapter presents an update of a bioethical topic and/or challenges in Islamic bioethics from an authoritative bioethics/religious scholar
- In an innovative approach this volume presents a constructive dialogue between prominent Muslim and Non-Muslim scholars on Islamic bioethics