Mass Spectrometry of Polymeric Materials
The methodology of analytical pyrolysis-GC/MS has been known for several years, but is seldom used in research laboratories and process control in the chemical industry. This is due to the relative difficulty of interpreting the identified pyrolysis products as well as the variety of them. This book contains full identification of several classes of polymers/copolymers and biopolymers that can be very helpful to the user. In addition, the practical applications can encourage analytical chemists and engineers to use the techniques explored in this volume.
The structure and the functions of various types of pyrolyzers and the results of the pyrolysis–gas chromatographic–mass spectrometric identification of synthetic polymers/copolymers and biopolymers at 700°C are described. Practical applications of these techniques are also included, detailing the analysis of microplastics, failure analysis in the automotive industry and solutions for technological problems.
- Apparatus in Analytical Pyrolysis
- Degradation Mechanisms of Polymers
- Pyrolysis–Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry of Different Classes of Synthetic Polymers and Copolymers
- Py–GC/MS of Biopolymers
- Other Approaches and Developments of the Analytical Pyrolysis
- Practical Applications of Pyrolysis–GC/MS
Readership: Student and professionals working in the chemical and rubber industry.
- The author is known for his many publications on Pyrolysis-GC/MS as well as for his participation in international symposia in the field of the analytical pyrolysis. He is the reviewer for the Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis and the member of the Editorial Board of the journal Polymer Testing. The author organizes pyrolysis courses for the GDCh (Society of German Chemists, Frankfurt) for participants from Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria