How Finance Works
The HBR Guide to Thinking Smart About the Numbers
Based on a popular class taught by a Harvard Business School professor.
If you're not a numbers person, then finance can be intimidating and easy to ignore. But if you want to advance in your career, you'll need to make smart financial decisions and develop the confidence to clearly communicate those decisions to others.
In How Finance Works, Mihir Desai--a professor at Harvard Business School and author of The Wisdom of Finance--guides you into the complex but endlessly fascinating world of finance, demystifying it in the process.
Through entertaining case studies, interactive exercises, full-color visuals, and a conversational style that belies the topic, Professor Desai tackles a broad range of topics that will give you the knowledge and skills you need to finally understand how finance works. These include:
- How different financial levers can affect a company's performance
- The different ways in which companies fund their operations and investments
- Why finance is more concerned with cash flow than profits
- How value is created, measured, and maximized
- The importance of capital markets in helping companies grow
Whether you're a student or a manager, an aspiring CFO or an entrepreneur, How Finance Works is the colorful and interactive guide you need to help you start thinking more deeply about the numbers.