Beautiful Portrait Painting in Oils
Keys to Mastering Diverse Skin Tones and More
How to paint oil portraits like the Old Masters
Mona Lisa. Girl with a Pearl Earring. Madame X. The infinite variety and beauty of humankind--like the mysteries behind sparkling eyes, a sly smile or an averted gaze--has captivated artists since the beginning of time. This expanded edition of Chris Saper's best-selling guide, Classic Portrait Painting in Oils, reveals keys for mastering how to paint beautiful portraits in oil to create soulful works of art. Through easy-to-follow lessons and expert oil painting tips and techniques, you'll find secrets for working from life, using reference photos and more to create rich, realistic portraits imbued with timeless character.
• 14 step-by-step demonstrations teach how to paint 7 diverse subjects of varying skin tones from life and from photographic reference
• Additional exercises reveal expert oil painting techniques for defining facial details, like eyes, mouths, wrinkles, facial hair and eyeglasses
• Professional tips for working from life, including ideal session times, posing, seeing and mixing color and even how to work with children
• The basics of using natural, artificial, creative and "Rembrandt" lighting to light your subject and convey a mood
• Expanded key concepts of "perfect practice," the importance of regularly painting subjects in real time and an insistence on excellent photographic reference material, including a checklist for how to take--and self-edit--your own quality photos
• New material on how to approach and execute paid commissions, including step-by-step demonstrations for painting both corporate and family subjects
Through Saper's universal techniques, painters of all skill levels will learn to render more realistic portraits of every subject they paint, with predictable and joyful results.