Painting Classic Portraits
Great Faces Step by Step
Luana Luconi Winner
Easy techniques for true-to-life portraits!
If you think all portrait-painting books are the same, think again. This book will inspire you to approach your canvas with renewed (or newly discovered) enthusiasm and confidence. Using modern-day techniques, Luana Luconi Winner shows you how to capture not only a physical likeness, but also the personality and unique, natural expression of your subject. Her direct, relaxed teaching style takes the intimidation out of painting portraits, empowering artists of any skill level and medium to turn ordinary people into exceptional works of art.
• Time-tested, easy-to-follow techniques for achieving accurate facial shapes and proportions.
• 10 quick-reference color charts make it easy to mix skin tones and hair colors for a full range of complexions and ethnicities.
• Mini-demonstrations show how to use a variety of mediums--graphite, charcoal, pastels, watercolor and oils--to create sketches and preliminary studies.
• Tips on using a digital camera to generate reference material and troubleshoot your compositions.
• Three start-to-finish painting demonstrations in oils and pastels illustrate the particulars of painting males and females, adults and children.
Destined to become a classic in its own right, Painting Classic Portraits covers every step in the process--from selecting clothes, backgrounds and props that tell a story, to using design elements to stir emotion in your viewers. It's everything you need to know to create timeless portraits and great paintings.