My Creative Space
How to Design Your Home to Stimulate Ideas and Spark Innovation
Donald M. Rattner
48 Techniques to Boost Your Creativity at Home, According to Science
Creativity isn’t all in your head. Sometimes it’s in what's around you—especially when you’re at home.
For over twenty years, scientists have been discovering connections between our physical surroundings and the creative mind. Written by a noted architect, My Creative Space is the first book to turn this rich trove of psychological research into practical techniques for shaping a home that will boost your creativity.
Here’s a sampling of the techniques you’ll learn about:
- Which colors lead to peak creative performance
- How furniture affects idea flow
- Pros and cons of messy versus neat environments
- Optimal lighting and noise levels for achieving insights
- How memorabilia can break creative logjams
- Why ceiling height matters
- Which scents improve creative problem solving
- And more
Illustrating the book's 48 techniques are over 200 high-quality photos of interiors from around the world, many the work of top-tier architects, designers, and creatives.
Whether you pursue creativity for pleasure or profit, whether you’re a writer, entrepreneur, work in a creative industry, or simply enjoy doing creative things, this book will help you do them better. No prior expertise in design psychology required!
*Winner, 2019 Gold Medal Award, Nonfiction Authors Association